Surviving your divorce may seem impossible, but you can and will overcome it. Here are a few tips to follow to help you get through your divorce in one piece.
- Keep the hostility and conflict with your ex-spouse to a minimum, and do not look for reasons to get mad. The best thing to do is to be firm but reasonable when it comes to decisions.
- Do not put your child or children in the middle of drama with your ex-spouse. Communicate directly with your ex and try not to relay messages through your child. It is best to keep your child away from listening to any verbal aggressions or know about lawyers and court.
- Ask for recommendations for an attorney you can hire. It is a great way to find experts instead of selecting random names online. You should also talk to different attorneys to see if they can help you with your needs.
- Do not sign an agreement that causes you to second guess yourself. Please do not agree to something you think you will be able to change later because once a contract is in place, it is difficult to make adjustments.
- Find a good therapist for yourself who will help you as you struggle with feelings like guilt, fear, and anger. Going to therapy takes a lot of strength.
- Avoid starting a new romantic relationship during your divorce. It is a bad idea for many reasons and could complicate things.
- Co-parenting is a great arrangement, but both parents need to be fair and commit to making it work. It is the best parenting for kids if everyone is on the same page. It does require both parents to talk to each other regularly.
- Your child wants to love the both of you, so you will need to encourage that to happen. Do not undermine their relationship with their other parent. Hurting your ex will only lead to hurting your child too.
- The divorce process will conclude at some point, so you mustn’t say and do anything you will regret. Make the process as easy and rational as possible for your child, your ex, and your sanity.
Of course, not all tips apply to each person and situation. But it does help for you to think about your case. Divorce is a stressful and lonely time, but following a few practical steps can help you navigate the struggles of divorce. At Shafer Family Law in Chandler, we are here to help you get through your divorce as smoothly and quickly as possible. If you are interested in scheduling a consultation to discuss your case, give us a call today at (480) 470-3030.